July 4th Safety Tips
To kick off the Independence Day Celebration here are a few July 4th Safety Tips from Your Friends at LARGO Consulting Services!
Summer is in full swing, and we’re ready to celebrate the 4th of July in style! But safely. Don’t let injuries or accidents put a damper on your Fourth festivities.
Stay cool and follow these tried-and-true fireworks, grill, and water safety tips for a fantastic July 4th!
July 4th Safety Tips - Fireworks Safety Tips
Get this: The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reports that fireworks start an average of 18,500 fires per year, including 1,300 structure fires, 300 vehicle fires, and 16,900 outside and other fires. These fires caused an average of three deaths, 40 civilian injuries, and $43 million in direct property damage.
In 2017 alone, hospital emergency rooms treated an estimated 12,900 Americans for fireworks-related injuries. Children younger than 15 years of age accounted for 36% of the estimated 2017 injuries. And seemingly harmless sparklers, which burn at a whopping 1200℉, account for more than a quarter of these injuries.
Unsurprisingly, the NFPA is opposed to consumer fireworks use. For the record, we agree with them! However, if you’re going to light up a few fuses, do so carefully.
- Always follow local laws regarding consumer fireworks.
- Use a long candle, punk stick, or a stick of incense to light your legally-obtained fireworks.
- Never attempt to make your own fireworks or to modify consumer fireworks.
- Never point aerial fireworks (such as legal bottle rockets) or non-aerial fireworks (such as sparklers) at yourself of others.
- Only light fireworks on the ground and in areas that a free from flammables and are fire resistant.
- Do not use fireworks if your location is under any type of drought warning or fire restrictions.
- Do not use fireworks in windy conditions.
- Light one firework at a time.
- If a firework doesn’t ignite or malfunctions, do not attempt to reignite it. Douse it with water and dispose of any un-ignited fireworks.
- Have a fire extinguisher and a hose nearby.
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks or sparklers.
July 4th Safety Tips - Grill Safety Tips
We love a good 4th of July BBQ as much as the next American, but we’re not huge fans of crispy fingers. Here are a few FEMA-sanctioned grill safety tips:
- Use your grill well away from your home and deck railings, and out from under branches or overhangs.
- Open your gas grill before lighting.
- Periodically remove grease or fat buildup in the trays below your gas or propane grill so they cannot be ignited.
- Declare a three-foot "kid and pet-free zone" around the grill to keep them safe.
- Avoid loose clothing that can catch fire when cooking on the grill.
4th of July Safety Tips - Water Safety Tips
If you’re lucky enough to show your patriotism on a boat or poolside, follow these basic water safety tips:
- Follow safe boating practices.
- Wear life vests.
- Don’t consume alcohol while driving a boat.
- Carefully supervise children and young swimmers.
- Have a first aid kit onboard or near the pool.
For more information on water safety, check out our post, “Water Safety and Pool Safety Tips for a Safe Summer!”
July 4th Safety Tips - Tips for Avoiding Heat-Related Illnesses
In most parts of the country, July is one of the hottest months of the year. Don’t ruin your Independence Day celebrations with a nasty case of heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Remember, heat-related illnesses are entirely preventable!
- Wear lightweight and light-colored clothing.
- Keep your cool with a wide-brimmed hat.
- Move the festivities indoors if it gets too hot.
- Have plenty of water available for your guests.
- Set up outdoor fans or cool rooms for your guests to relax.
- Make sure everyone’s taking advantage of the sunscreen you’ve provided.
For more tips, please read “Summer Weather Safety Tips.”
LARGO Consulting Services, LLC is committed to providing safe and secure environments where you live, work, study, and play. For more information about our physical security services, security consulting, business services, LARGO Secure Schools, or our marketing, social media, and branding services, please contact LARGO Consulting Services, LLC online or call 833-LARGOCS. We also invite you to connect with us on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
Have a happy and safe 4th of July!